Saturday, October 15, 2016

Sticks and Stones


While in high school, a new family moved into our area and attended church with us. They had one son about my age. He seemed to have a really good since of fashion and spoke in more a high pitch voice. He was in choir and drama, and because of those things, often people assumed or would call him gay. I found myself even questioning at some points if he was. Throughout the next months, we began to get close as friends, and he did confine in me that he did believe he was gay. I was there to support him, and encourage him.

I often wonder if because of the comments people made towards him were related to that, if that played a part in his life choices. I was shocked when he told me he was gay, because I remember there being times when he hurt by those comments. We truly need to start watching what we say to others. The saying "sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me" is not true. Words hurt. They cut us down and can make us question everything we have every thought to be true.  

No comments:

Post a Comment